Operating Moveable Bridges
Manual swing bridges
- Let your crew off well before the bridge - it's easier then to get the boat lined up correctly.
- Unhook the retaining chain and give the bridge a good - but controlled - shove. You might need to slow the swing down to stop the bridge bouncing back across the canal.
- When the boat is through, push the bridge firmly into place and put the retaining chain back on.
Manual lift bridges
- Pull the chain hanging from the balance arm.
- When the bridge is open, sit an adult on the arm to keep it raised until the boat is clear.
- Gently lower the bridge by the chain, taking care not to let it drop.
- Mechanised bridges are either opened using the windlass, or are powered and need a navigation authority facilities key. Always follow the instructions
- If a bridge breaks down, don't try to force it. Call the local navigation office for help. There should be a phone number on the bridge instructions. If not, call the local navigation authority office.