From time to time, there are opportunities for residential caretaker positions on the Chelmer & Blackwater Navigation.
There are currently no vacancies.
Residential Caretaker positions come with a residential mooring (with local authority planning permission approved) at various locations on the Navigation, for which the incumbent is charged the going rate (dependent on boat length). The post-holder is then expected to spend a minimum of 8 hours per week undertaking maintenance and security duties at the moorings area (e.g. grass cutting) for which they receive a modest salary.
Duties and responsibilities of the postholders can include:
* Maintain security of Essex Waterways property as far as possible;
* Check moored boats for safety and security at regular intervals;
* Check car park for security, controlling parking as necessary;
* Control angling within the moorings.
Continuity of Navigation
* (Heybridge only) Assist the lockkeeper with locking and mooring as required;
* Keep the lock clear of obstructions and debris;
* Monitor and report on water levels;
* Participate in the Environment Agency’s Floodline flood warning scheme
* Cut grass and trim hedges around the lock and moorings and the banks and towpath;
* Assist with painting and minor maintenance of buildings, etc;
* Collect and dispose of litter, sorting for recycling as appropriate;
* Monitor toilets and other facilities; re-stock consumables as necessary
* Sell licences (canoes, dinghies, etc);
* (Heybridge only) Assist the lockkeeper with operation of the boatyard as required
* (Hoe Mill only) Take bookings and handle enquiries for the campsite
* (Hoe Mill only) Greet visitors to the camp site and respond to enquiries during their stay
* Maintain good relations with boaters and other visitors;
* Represent the interests of Essex Waterways in dealings with customers and other visitors;
* Handle general enquiries, passing them on to the relevant person as necessary;
* Advise boaters in the correct use of the locks and navigation
To register your interest for any future vacancies, contact the navigation manager, David Hewitt (Tel: 07966 375351).