From time to time, there are opportunities for residential caretaker positions on the Chelmer & Blackwater Navigation.
There is currently a vacancy for a residential caretaker at Paper Mill Lock.
Residential Caretaker positions come with a residential mooring (with local authority planning permission approved) at various locations on the Navigation, for which the incumbent is charged the going rate (dependent on boat length). The post-holder is then expected to spend a minimum of 8 hours per week undertaking maintenance and security duties at the moorings area (e.g. grass cutting) for which they receive a modest salary.
Duties and responsibilities of the postholders can include:
* Maintain security of Essex Waterways property as far as possible;
* Check moored boats for safety and security at regular intervals;
* Check car park for security, controlling parking as necessary;
* Control angling within the moorings.
Continuity of Navigation
* (Heybridge only) Assist the lockkeeper with locking and mooring as required;
* Keep the lock clear of obstructions and debris;
* Monitor and report on water levels;
* Participate in the Environment Agency’s Floodline flood warning scheme
* Cut grass and trim hedges around the lock and moorings and the banks and towpath;
* Assist with painting and minor maintenance of buildings, etc;
* Collect and dispose of litter, sorting for recycling as appropriate;
* Monitor toilets and other facilities; re-stock consumables as necessary
* Sell licences (canoes, dinghies, etc);
* (Heybridge only) Assist the lockkeeper with operation of the boatyard as required
* (Hoe Mill only) Take bookings and handle enquiries for the campsite
* (Hoe Mill only) Greet visitors to the camp site and respond to enquiries during their stay
* Maintain good relations with boaters and other visitors;
* Represent the interests of Essex Waterways in dealings with customers and other visitors;
* Handle general enquiries, passing them on to the relevant person as necessary;
* Advise boaters in the correct use of the locks and navigation
To discuss this vacancy or to register your interest for any future vacancies, contact the navigation manager, David Smart (Tel: 07966 375351).