Magnet fishing is allowed on the Chelmer & Blackwater Navigation subject to having a licence. A licence can be purchased from IWAShop.com:
One Day Licence - £5
Annual Licence - £34
Magnet Fishing Rules
- Fishing is not allowed opposite moored boats, between moored boats or within 15 metres of a moored boat. Basically, just keep away from moored boats please.
- No magnet fishing at all at within 30 metres of Paper Mill Lock, Hoe Mill Lock, Sandford Lock, Heybridge Basin or Springfield Basin. That way you will not accidentally catch any of our underwater cables, etc.
- No Magnet fishing in or within 15 metres of the any lock. This is partly because powerful magnets can easily get attached to metal parts on the lock gates and be difficult to release, thus having potential to cause damage.
- No magnet fishing with 30 metres of any Environment Agency or Essex and Suffolk Water equipment, which is normally signposted along the navigation. Again this to avoid damage to their equipment, which may not all be all visible from above the water.
- The Navigation is private property, so you need to purchase a licence from us, to be legal. We are a not-for-profit organisation, and all proceeds will go to help maintain the Navigation and its towpath.
- Licences cost £5 per day and £34 for the year, which is the same price as our canoe licences.
- Should you be lucky enough to pull out a metal windlass (detachable lock handles used for operating the lock gate paddles) please return them to us, as they are all our property, for which a £10 finders fee will be paid.
- And finally, anything you remove that should not be in the water, please dispose of safely, as it could cause damage to boats or wildlife. Please do not leave anything on the bank, but take it away and dispose of it safely. Thank you.