The Manchester and Salford Junction Canal is Manchester’s Lost Waterway – opened at the end of the canal era in 1839 the waterway offered a direct route from the Rochdale Canal to the River Irwell and thence to the Manchester, Bolton and Bury Canal thus avoiding transhipment and the cartage of goods across Manchester.
1.2.2 The canal originally ran for 5 furlongs (1 km) between the River Irwell southwest of Quay Street, to a branch of the Rochdale Canal southeast of Lower Mosley Street. From the Irwell the route climbed by two locks to reach the western warehouses and side arm (Brunswick Basin or Potato Market Wharf) and then passed through a 499-yard (456 m) tunnel before ascending by two further paired locks to reach the Rochdale Canal. For about half the route it was in a tunnel.
A restoration scoping study has been produced at the instigation of The Friends of Manchester's Underground Canal
Click here for the Study Report (pdf)