101 - The Police Non-Emergency Number

Issue date: 1st November 2012

Canal & River Trust has urged waterway users to report any anti-social behaviour on the canals to the police. The aim is to make them aware of the size of a particular problem (e.g. motor bike riding on the towpath) so that they will take preventive action.
101 is the number to call when you want to contact your local police - when it’s less urgent than a 999 call. 101 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Calls to 101 are answered by police officers and staff in the control room of the local police force. This ensures that staff with local knowledge can answer and deal with the calls and respond appropriately.

You should call 101 to report crime and other concerns that do not require an emergency response.

For example, you should call 101:


  • if your car has been stolen
  • if your property has been damaged
  • if you suspect drug use or dealing in your neighbourhood
  • to report a minor traffic collision
  • to give the police information about crime in your area
  • to speak to the police about a general enquiry


You should continue to call 999 when it is an emergency, such as when a crime is in progress, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, when there is danger to life or when violence is being used or threatened.

You should continue to call your local authority for things like:


  • reporting graffiti
  • dog fouling
  • abandoned vehicles
  • dumping and fly tipping
  • damage to public property

For more information please see the Police website