Boaters to Safeguard Against Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Issue date: 16th April 2013

Barry Sheerman, Chair of the All-party Parliamentary Carbon Monoxide Group (APPCOG) is urging all holiday makers to be ‘carbon monoxide safe’, as the media report a suspected carbon monoxide incident occurring on a private boat in the Lake District.

National media have reported that a 36-year-old woman and a 10-year-old girl have died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning during an Easter boating holiday in Windermere. A man, who was also on the boat, received treatment at the Royal Lancaster Infirmary.

Members of the public are being strongly encouraged to take appropriate steps to ensure that they are properly protected against the threat of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning while holiday making.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas – often dubbed the ‘Silent Killer’ – and can kill quickly if inhaled in high concentrations. The symptoms of poisoning are similar to flu or food poisoning, and include headaches, nausea and dizziness.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is often only seen as a threat in winter months when faulty household boilers or other heating appliances can emit fatal levels of the deadly gas. Charcoal BBQs, portable gas stoves, and generators can also produce lethal doses of the gas, especially within confined spaces such as tents or boats.

Find out more about Carbon Monoxide Safety on your boat.