Issue date: 29th November 2011
The restored historic cast-iron aqueduct carrying the Cromford Canal over the railway at Leawood, near High Peak Junction was reopened on the 28th November by Councillor Simon Spencer, Deputy Leader of Derbyshire County Council (DCC).
Throughout the summer the towpath had been closed while contactors worked to restore this structure.
This aqueduct is a scheduled monument and is the only surviving example of a suspension girder bridge left in the country. Repairs are needed to address the corrosion and there are concerns about its long term stability.
The restoration has been funded by DCC in such a manner that it does not prevent restoration in future, and the Friends of the Cromford Canal (FCC) look forward to making use of it for boat traffic. It will also allow better access for working parties on the canal south of the aqueduct.
The Cromford Canal, built in the 1790’s, sought to unlock Derbyshire’s immense mineral wealth, especially its limestone, lead and coal. The canal had a profound influence on the economic growth of central Derbyshire.
The photo from left to right are: Councillor Simon Spencer Deputy Leader of DCC, Pat Morriss Chirman Friends of the Cromford Canal and Councillor Jack Brown Amber Valley Borough Council.