Issue date: 15th March 2013
The Environment Agency has announced that much needed repairs to a 130-year-old weir on the River Thames will begin this month (March 2013).
Molesey Weir B (part of the wider Molesey weir and lock complex), which was built in 1883 and lies upstream of Hampton Court Palace, underwent its last period of major repairs almost 80 years ago in 1934. It is now set for a significant upgrade after surveys revealed the steel structure was in poor condition and needed to be replaced.
Work on the weir is due to be completed in autumn 2014. Whilst work is carried out a temporary bridge will be installed to allow residents and boat owners’ access to nearby Ash Island.