Recognition for IWA Waterway Campaigners at IWA AGM
ISSUE DATE: 2nd October 2012
The Inland Waterways Association’s fifty–third AGM held on Saturday 29th September 2012 at Chelmsford , brought recognition for a host of waterways campaigners.
- The Cyril Styring Trophy, the IWA’s most prestigious award was made to Dr Roger Squires BEM in recognition of his long service to IWA as Deputy National Chairman, Chairman of Navigation Committee and Chairman for London Region and Trustee.
- The Christopher Power Prize was awarded to Roger Harding for his restoration support work with the Stover Canal Society.
- The John Heap Salver was awarded to Jerry Sanders for his long service and unstinting work as Commercial Director for IWA Festivals.
- The Branch Achievement Award this year went to IWA Warwickshire Branch for:
- Well attended branch meetings with diversity of relevant and interesting speakers
- Branch work parties and early initiatives to support the Canal & River Trust at Lapworth and on the Grand Union Canal
- Many individual members prominent on IWA national committees
- Support for local events, such as Evesham and Stratford festivals
- Branch newsletter, funded without any support from national funds
- IWA Richard Bird Medals were awarded to Reece Jones, Di Jones, Alan Wiffen, Sandy Jones, Dave Jones, Stephen Scholes, Pat Barton, Bob Myall, Anne Myall, Bob Dewey, Liz Dewey, Brian Bayston, Edwina Wallace, Dave Chapman, Beryl Chapman and Ron Probert. Roger Harding and some of the Bird Medal winners were not at the AGM, so their awards are to be presented elsewhere..