Angling on the UK's inland waterways can offer a peaceful waterside experience. A variety of freshwater fish can be found including Carp, Tench, Barbel, Pike, Roach, Perch, Bream and chub.

However, anglers need to make sure that they have purchased the appropriate rod licence, and find out what stretches are owned by angling clubs as many sell day tickets.

Environment Agency Rod Licence

The Environment Agency requires that any angler aged 12 years or over, fishing for salmon, trout, freshwater fish or eels in England (except the River Tweed), Wales or the Border Esk and its tributaries in Scotland must have an Environment Agency Rod Licence.

The licences can be purchased from the Environment Agency website

Permission to Fish

Having the EA rod licence doesn't mean you can fish. Permission needs to be sought from the angling club or owner of fishing rights for each waterway location. 


Download our briefing note on Angling on Inland Waterways (212KB, A4, 4 pages)