The historical connections of this area with Holland can be seen in the Dutch style of many of the buildings in Spalding. The Romans navigated the river between Stamford and Peakirk and the remains of a Roman canal can still be seen. During the seventeenth century, a canal was built with twelve locks to Stamford. Through the early part of the nineteenth century, the use up to Stamford declined. Following the floods of 1947, the river was straightened and widened and, in 1953, the Coronation Channel, which is not navigable, was constructed to protect Spalding from floods. Fulney Lock was built in 1955-56.