The river Dun, now the Don, was always navigable up to Doncaster and an Act in 1726 allowed for extension to Tinsley above Rotherham. An Act was passed for the extension of the Dun from Tinsley to Sheffield in 1815 and in 1819 the Sheffield Canal was opened. In 1793, the Act for the Stainforth and Keadby Canal was passed. In 1895, these formed the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation. In 1905, the New Junction Canal opened. During the twentieth century and as late as the 1980s, improvements were undertaken but delays in implementation meant that most of the traffic had transferred to the roads by the time the improvements were completed.