account arrow-down-linearrow-down arrow-left arrow-right--white arrow-right arrow-up closecontact-us dropdown-blue dropdown-red dropdown-white emailevent-back Facebookheart icon-basket icon-new-badge--blue icon-new-in icon-share instagramjoin linkedin phonepinterestplaysearch share-option--white share-option startwitteryoutube

Louth Navigation

The Louth Navigation opened  in 1770 as a canalisation of the river Lud, connecting Louth to Tetney Haven, at the mouth of the Humber. In the early C20th there was a rapid decline in income, and the canal closed in 1924.

Facts & Stats

1924

The date the navigation closed.

11 miles

The length of the navigation.

8 locks

Only three of the eight original locals remain

Things to do nearby

The story of the Louth Navigation

The Louth Navigation was authorised by Act of Parliament in 1763 and completed in 1770.  Operation of the Navigation was a moderate success until the beginning of the twentieth century, when there was a rapid decline in income, and the canal formally closed in 1924 following severe floods in 1920.  Because the Navigation continued to be used as a channel for land drainage and water supply, the line of the Navigation has remained intact, although the unusual locks, each with two sets of four elliptical bays built on baulks of timer, have suffered badly, especially at times of flooding.  Only three of the eight original locks remain in reasonable condition.

Louth Navigation Trust, formed in 1986, aims to restore the Navigation and has the support of local authorities following a feasibility study completed by 2005.  The Trust has carried out work to stop further deterioration of structures, including maintenance of Ticklepenny lock, and to keep the towpath open.  It helped to restore Navigation Warehouse, Louth, to a high standard in 1998/9, in partnership with Groundwork Lincolnshire and the building is now owned by East Lindsey District Council.  The Trust is currently fundraising to stabilise Keddington Lock.