Bradford Canal

(3 miles, Canal in various ownerships)

Plans are being progressed for a £350 million redevelopment of the centre of Bradford, which includes plans to restore the terminus of the Bradford Canal, and which could lead to the restoration of the full waterway to connect with the Leeds & Liverpool Canal.  British Waterways (now called Canal & River Trust) undertook work for the studies to check the feasibility of the plan and helped prepare a design for a new canal terminus in the centre of Bradford.  The restored canal would have 11 locks and cost £35 million.  Redevelopment of the canal corridor would stimulate £470 million of investment in the area, create 5,900 new jobs and include the building of 5,000 new homes, according to studies completed.  The Council currently owns 63 per cent of the land along the proposed route of the canal between Shipley and Bradford, with the remaining 37 per cent in private hands.

JOIN IWA!

 

IWA Branches

West Riding

Restoration Organisation

Canal & River Trust

Map

See the Bradford Canal Map

See also:

Benefits
Current restoration
Proposed restoration
Resources
Technical Documents

Sign up for email updates

Keep up to date with all the latest waterways news. 

first name:
last name:
email:


We will never share your email address with anyone else and you can update your subscription preferences at any time.