Reporting an Incident/ Accident or Near-miss

Before you fill in a form you need to make sure you know which one to fill out.

So which form do you fill in?


  • Incident form: For any accident / occurrence causing damage or that could result in an insurance claim.
  • Accident book: Anything causing injury (For a good guide, if you’ve had to open up the first aid kit… fill in the book)
  • Near Miss Form: For a situation that had the potential to cause an accident/incident E.g. Tools left unsafe.


Key Points

  • Make things safe first
  • Fill in the paperwork promptly
  • Know your accidents from Incidents
  • Be Honest
  • Report it


Reporting an Incident, Accident or Near-miss (367KB PDF)

Key Links

HSE Reporting and Incident

WRG Incident form

Toolbox Talks