account arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right closecontact-us emailFacebookheart instagramjoin linkedin phonepinterestplaysearch twitteryoutube

Herefordshire & Gloucestershire Canal

Construction of the Herefordshire & Gloucestershire Canal commenced at the river Severn near Gloucester in 1792, was completed to Ledbury by 1798, but took until 1845 to extend the full 34 miles to Hereford.

Things to do nearby

Facts & Stats

0 locks

1881

Year closed

From the River Severn to Hereford

Stretches of the Herefordshire & Gloucestershire Canal at Monkhide, Yarkhill, Moat Farm, Oxenhall, Over and the stone chamber of House Lock and Ell Brook Aqueduct at Oxenhall have been completely restored by volunteers. 

We helped to reconstruct Over Basin, where the canal enters the West Channel of the River Severn. 

Construction of the Herefordshire and Gloucestershire Canal commenced at the river Severn near Gloucester in 1792, was completed to Ledbury by 1798, but took until 1845 to extend the full 34 miles to Hereford. The Canal was closed in 1881 to allow the construction of the Ledbury to Gloucester railway (axed by Dr Beeching in 1964).