account arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right closecontact-us emailFacebookheart instagramjoin linkedin phonepinterestplaysearch twitteryoutube

Manchester, Bolton & Bury Canal

Conceived to link Manchester with Bolton and Bury the canal was opened in 1797 and in 1808 a stretch which further extended the waterway down five locks to the River Irwell was opened.  Built to carry coal he canal was originally built with narrow locks but whilst being built the locks were altered to become broad locks

 

Things to do nearby

Facts & Stats

15 miles

(24.14km)

The length of the Manchester, Bolton & Bury Canal restoration.

0 locks

Connecting to the River Irwell

The first 500-metre section of the Manchester, Bolton & Bury Canal at Middlewood was re-opened to navigation in 2008. It connects with the river Irwell through the £600 million Middlewood Locks commercial development site. 

Funding for the £4.2 million restoration of the first phase was supported by European Objective Two Funding, the Northwest Regional Development Agency and Salford City Council.