From the River Severn to the Birmingham Canal
Work started in 1791 and the whole canal was completed in 1815, when the Bar Lock was built in Worcester Bar at Gas Street Basin. Previously, the Birmingham Canal Navigation had insisted on a physical barrier to preserve its water, across which all cargoes had to be transhipped. After the lock was built, the Worcester and Birmingham Canal Company had to provide reservoirs to ensure that there was a sufficient supply of water to the Birmingham Canal Navigation.
At Tardebigge, there is a plaque commemorating the meeting between Rolt and Aickman in 1946, which led to the waterways’ revival and the founding of the Inland Waterways Association.